Negligence in hospital


All healthcare professionals working in NHS Trusts must carry out their duties to a recognised professional level. If they do not, negligence might have taken place.

If you suffer an injury - physical or psychological - as a direct result of the treatment you received at an NHS Trust, including hospitals, you could claim compensation for negligence.

Negligence in a hospital, or any other arena in which medical care is offered, is called clinical negligence. You can often claim compensation if:

  • Your doctor or other healthcare professional did not make a correct diagnosis of your illness
  • Your doctor or other healthcare professional prescribed the wrong drugs
  • Your surgeon made a mistake
  • The healthcare professionals looking after you did not give you the required treatment
  • The healthcare professionals looking after you gave you treatment without asking for your permission
  • The healthcare professionals looking after you did not give you details of the risks associated with your treatment

If the negligence that you suffered in hospital has resulted in a minor injury you may just want a formal apology from the hospital that treated you. If this is the case you should follow the NHS Complaints Procedure, about which the hospital can give you full details.

What if the injury is serious?

If you feel that the negligence is more serious, you can begin a claim for compensation. Note that the courts will only look at the actions of your healthcare professional. The courts do not normally have any powers to stop a doctor working, or force a hospital to change its working practices.

If your hospital negligence case is more about changing the behaviour of a doctor, for instance, you can contact the General Medical Council with your complaint as they have the power to discipline doctors and other healthcare professionals. You can also contact the Healthcare Commission about general concerns you have about the hospital that treated you.

If you would like to obtain legal advice about negligence, Contact Law can put you in touch with a local specialist solicitor free of charge. So, if you have any questions or would like our help in finding local negligence solicitors please call us on 0800 1777 162 or complete the web-form above.

0800 1777 162
or fill in the form
Our trained advisor contacts you
Your chosen specialist solicitor calls you
Quick enquiry form
Area of law:
What our clients say about us
"This was the first time I've been to court, which was a nerve-racking experience for me. However, I felt very prepared, I understood my case and representation - this was down to you."
Gavin, criminal motoring, Oct 15
"Your service, and the prompt call back from your recommended firm was very good. I would not hesitate to call again or recommend your service."
Ian, employment law, Truro, July 15
"The firm were excellent, could not have been better! They are exactly what I need right now."
Linda, criminal defence, Thames Ditton, Jul 15
"Your contact and service was immediate and utmost professional, 10/10."
TF, conveyancing, Dudley, Jun 15
"I appreciate the service that you provide. I found you to be courteous, efficient and reassuring at a time when my confidence in justice is completely negative."
Patrick, litigation, Pontypridd, Jun 15
"I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the speed of which you came back to me in. If anyone else can benefit from your help like I have done, it would make my day."
Gail M, family law, Potters Bar, Jun 15
"Your assistance was extremely helpful. Particularly to someone who in 40 years of business has never experienced this sort of issue."
TD, commercial litigation, Galashiels, Apr 15
"It is difficult to express the value Contact Law has to someone like me who had very little understanding of the law and how to proceed forward with my case. Thank you for the service you provided."
AE, defamation law, Worthing, Apr 15
"Thank you for the efficient service I received. I was contacted by your solicitor on the same day as my request. Your quick response to my situation made me feel secure."
AN, employment law, London, Apr 15
"Your service was excellent, very fast and informative. I never got the impression of being pressurised at all. The solicitor you recommended was also excellent – very knowledgeable and supportive."
JHD, Motoring law, Liverpool, Apr 15
Contact Law supports the endeavours of STAE and commends all the work they are undertaking to assist in the plight of the Asian Elephant


We use cookies on the Contact Law site to help us improve it.

If you would like to allow our cookies, please click 'Continue' or carry on browsing. For more information on cookies and how to change your settings, click 'More info'.