Contact Law's guide to instructing a solicitor
Many people are intimidated by the idea of hiring a solicitor. Will this escalate the situation out of my control? Will costs go through the roof? Is a solicitor even relevant in this situation?
Don't worry. The legal profession is just another profession, with people there to help you deal with a situation. Just like plumbers, or doctors.
So, if you are already involved in a legal dispute, or you are just considering getting advice on a legal issue, you will have questions about working with a solicitor.
Have you called us yet?
If you have spoken to us about your case, we will have pre-selected different firms for you to go and see, which will narrow down the options considerably and make the process much easier. After this though, you will still need to meet the selected solicitor, and you need to approach this a little like a job interview.
It's not only you being interviewed - you're also interviewing them to see if the solicitor is right for you.
There are things you'll want to think about before meeting a solicitor, and key things to ask them to ensure they are right for you. The following list will cover all situations:
- Do you need a solicitor?
- Questions to ask a solicitor
- Agreements, fees and costs
- Can I get free or low-cost legal help?
- How are legal specialists regulated?
- Alternatives to instructing a solicitor
Going through the information on these pages should achieve several things. If you weren't sure about using a solicitor, hopefully you have been reassured to some degree that a solicitor will be able to help your situation. If that's the case, give us a call on 0800 1777 162 and we'll be able to help.
If you were already going to speak to a solicitor, hopefully you'll be empowered with some more information about what to ask them. Make sure you get as much information as you can - it will make the whole process much smoother. And good luck!
There is no charge to you for using our service. Our telephone advisors have an excellent knowledge of the legal process and can recommend the best course of action to ensure that you are able to talk quickly to the right legal specialist for your needs.
Top quality solicitors
If you use our service we will get a specialist solicitor to call you, meaning you get the expert advice you need quickly and easily. The solicitors we work with can assist you with legal issues in any area of law in any part of the country. All Contact Law firms also have a service-level guarantee and many have Law Society accreditations in their area of expertise.
We always stay in contact with clients to get their feedback, ensuring our legal specialists meet the high standards of customer service we expect from our partner firms.
We work with solicitors right across the UK, from small, personal firms to large City firms. Whatever your requirements, we can help you.
- "No-win, no-fee" (Conditional Fee Agreements)
- Agreements, fees and costs
- Alternatives to litigation
- Before you start proceedings: 10 things to think about
- Deciding whether you need to take legal action
- Discussing your solicitors' fees
- Getting free or low-cost legal advice
- How to determine if you need a solicitor
- Interviewing a solicitor
- Legal advice - when might you need it?
- Regulation within the legal industry
- Should you use cheap solicitors?
- Solicitors: what should I know?
- The retainer: your agreement with your solicitor
- Types of legal fees
- Why do some solicitors charge more than others?