0800 433 4846

Five FAQs about immigration

What are the main areas of the law I should be aware of if I come to the UK to work?

The Border and Immigration Agency (BIA) that patrols all entrances into the country now also handles all movements of workers into the UK. If you travel to the UK to work, you must ensure you have all the appropriate documentation and the correct visa, if you require one in order to work.

Once you are working in the UK, employment law will become relevant to you. It is a good idea to learn about your employment rights.

As an employer is it my responsibility to check on the immigration status of anyone I employ?

Yes, as it’s the employer’s legal responsibility to ensure that everyone who works for them can do so legally. If your business employs migrant workers, you must check that each worker can legally work in the UK. If you do not, you could face a fine of up to £10,000 for each illegal immigrant you have on your staff.

Always consult with an employment law solicitor if you are unsure of this area of employment law.

What is my immigration status if I come to the UK to study?

The Government has recently overhauled the entire visa system. You must still have a sponsor before you enter the UK, and the college or university you are study at must also register with the UK Boarder Agency. If you are refused entry into the UK to study, consult with an immigration solicitor.

Does my EU status affect my immigration to the UK?

Yes, as anyone that is already a national of a EU Member State can legally enter the UK. You must still fulfil all the requirements of the Border and Immigration Agency, but EU citizens can move freely from country-to-country. If you are refused entry for some reason, a specialist immigration solicitor can advise you.

How can a solicitor help with my immigration?

Whether you are living in or outside of the EU, you must ensure you fully comply with immigration rules when you come to the UK. If you are refused entry, or are going to be deported, a specialist immigration solicitor can help you.

We have award-winning lawyers throughout the UK, ready to assist with your case. Fill in the form and we'll be in touch.

Important information

For [selected AoL] law, solicitors will charge a minimum fee of £250 to provide an initial consultation and written opinion on your case. We have a number of recommended law firms in our network who could provide this service to you at the most competitive price. If you would like to proceed, click ‘Paid advice’ below and one of our advisors will call you on a free-of-charge basis to discuss this further with you.