Emigration to Australia

Emigration to Australia is the dream of many people. What is often overlooked when planning emigration to Australia are the regulations you must comply with.

There are four main categories of visa available:

  • Skilled migration visa
  • Family visa
  • Business visa
  • Humanitarian visa

The Skilled Migration Programme

Australian immigration rules have recently been relaxed to a degree in order to encourage more young people to move to the country and become permanent residents. One of the most popular ways of completing Australian immigration is to use the Skilled Migration Programme.

The programme is available to anyone that has not been sponsored by an employer - the usual way of migrating to Australia - and that have one or more of what are called desirable skills.

If you would like to emigrate to Australia using the Skilled Migration Programme, Australian immigration regulations state that you:

  • Must be over 18 years of age
  • Under 45 years of age
  • Have a good standard of English
  • Have a skill that is currently listed on the Skilled Occupation List

Investor Retirement Visa

If you have retired, the skilled migration visa is no longer available so you may wish to consider the ‘Investor Retirement Visa’.

This is only available to people over the age of 55 and have at least AUD$1,000,000 in cash and assets. If you are successful in this you will be awarded a visa for an initial period of four years.

Using a solicitor

It is important to fully understand how the Australian immigration system operates. If you have a visa that expires, for instance, and you remain in the country you are considered an ‘unlawful non-citizen’. A solicitor or immigration service provider can advise you about your options for permanent entry into Australia.

At every stage of your immigration process it is critical to get clarification on any immigration laws or regulations you are unsure about. The Australian authorities will want to see a full set of documentation when you arrive at immigration control. Any legal issues with your entry to the country could result in you being refused entry.

To ensure you are fully prepared for your move to Australia, contact a solicitor that has immigration experience. If you have been refused Australian immigration on a point of law, a solicitor can help you fight this decision.

For more advice on resettlement in Australia, see our FAQ page on emigration to Australia.

We have award-winning lawyers throughout the UK, ready to assist with your case. Fill in the form and we'll be in touch.

Important information

For [selected AoL] law, solicitors will charge a minimum fee of £250 to provide an initial consultation and written opinion on your case. We have a number of recommended law firms in our network who could provide this service to you at the most competitive price. If you would like to proceed, click ‘Paid advice’ below and one of our advisors will call you on a free-of-charge basis to discuss this further with you.